Technical Templates

Post your new strategies, discoveries or just ideas for development

Re: Technical Templates

Postby Gator » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 am

This type of trading makes a lot of sense. The concepts here are similar to the s/r type trading that I'm more familiar with. I was just looking at some of the early posts here and saw the average daily range for EU and GU mentioned. It's amazing how much that has decreased over the last few years.
Gator! bravely cruising the troll and sock puppet infested waters since 1980.
I recommend not losing, as a strategy.
Laissez les bon pips rouler!
Gator

Postby Sarah Foster » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Gator wrote:I was just looking at some of the early posts here and saw the average daily range for EU and GU mentioned. It's amazing how much that has decreased over the last few years.

They've definitely evaporated significantly on the majors, especially eur/usd & gbp/usd.
Day traders have had to make a lot of adjustments over the past few years including reining in their profit expectations for sure.

The Euro & Sterling crosses have fared much better over a comparable period with pairs such as gbp v/s nzd, aud & cad + eur v/s nzd, aud & cad for instance still enjoying double the daily & weekly ranges of their major counterparts.

It's simply a case of recognizing the limitations & benefits of the relevant pairings & adjusting the personal parameters of your approach to suit the current conditions, but as you say, the type of approach presented here can be very easily tailored & tweaked to suit either a day trading or a swing trading strategy.
Sarah Foster

Postby jcpfx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Gator wrote:Returning here after a long hiatus, time to get back into the flow. JCPFX I saw you hanging out over on that other forum BP. Trying to teach the unwashed masses a thing or two? :) good luck with that.

Hey Gator,

yeah I met Dali on another site, and I generally enjoy his company now & again so i decided to pop into his long lost thread and try to stir things up a little...it diddn't last long though :-P I don't think you can teach anyone anything...you can only facilitate their own learning. However, to learn something like "trading", you need to have the correct mindset.

In my (limited) forum experience, it's difficult to find people that are open minded enough to let go of conspiracy theories, indicators and "rigged markets"...and actually understand that their results actually depend on them and not on their broker or their spouse or anything else.

This thread + Tech Templates over there have attracted a very good group of people and it's been some sort of "natural selection" in pure Darwinian style. I've been fortunate enough to meet very patient and polite professionals in here that have helped me...so if I can pass the wizdom ont others, I'd do it gladly.

There are pockets of value out there in this low vol environment...just need to sit on hands more than usual (big one for me).

Good luck ;-)
..Be the miracle...
jcpfx

Postby Gator » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:10 am

I'm not sure if I know how to upload a picture here so this is a test.
http://screencast.com/t/oUwNRIu0Lfvs

well that didn't work, it's just a link, try again...
ah that worked, I love it when price hits the zone of interest to the pip, not exactly the method in this thread but pips is pips. Well that's odd, missing posts? I don't think I'll be incorporating the rsi hooks that I see in the early posts here. I don't see anything in that that I can't see in the price itself.
Attachments
2014-06-20_0907.png
Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:27 am

so instead of confirmation of the RSI hooks I'll just use standard momentum moves and 123 type pullbacks as entries into the htf trends
Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Eur/Cad is a contender, the long uptrend seems to have changed so looking for shorts
Gator

Postby Se7en » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:33 am

Depending on your frame of reference, risk appetite & experience levels there's a steady stream of contenders most weeks Gator.
The beauty of this simple structural concept is that it can be easily applied across any number of different timeframe combinations & asset classes.

And as you've noted, it can be worked & managed just as efficiently either with or without the stochastic and/or moving average price aids depending on the individual's personal preference.
Se7en

Postby grantyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:24 am

Haven't been trading much due to work pressures (...sigh) but starting to get some breathing space and thought I'd throw up a chart. GBPAUD - I was looking for Support at around 1.828ish (30 April high) but there wasn't much there so now have my eye on some potential longs on confirming price action from 1.815. There seems to be a steady stream of less than ideal GBP and mixed AUD news coming out at the moment so not holding my breath but it's worth watching.
Attachments
gbpaudh4.png
Last edited by grantyboy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
grantyboy

Postby grantyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 am

#2 is GBPJPY. Again looking for longs at support between 173.70 and 173.50

gbpjpyh4.png
grantyboy

Postby midgely88 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:40 am

There's not much quality for trend traders out there on the currency front at all of late grantyboy.

I added back oil, gold & the indices onto my watch list from middle of 1st quarter & they've provided additional opportunities to supplement the slim pickings across the fx pairings.
I've also taken the advice of trimming back my profit expectations since the range contraction set in.
Set ups & entries are still in evidence but trade duration & profit objectives have definitely required to be adjusted this year.
midgely88

PreviousNext

Return to Forex trading strategies and systems