I'm having trouble setting up my chart

Have a question about trading? Any questions are welcome. Go ahead!

I'm having trouble setting up my chart

Postby justin23 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 am

Hi everyone, great site! my question is this...
i have been practice trading for a while now using the forex.com trading platform. i have been using part of a system on here as part of my strategy involving rsi and stochasitcs. my rsi is set at 5 and stochastics at 5,3,3, however forex.com have now updated their charting software, which looks like it can do a lot more, but now when i go to preferences to change the default settings on rsi it has a choice of source as high, low, open, close,..and a box named periods(which i have input the value 5)?..the rsi live value is now not the same as it was in the older, painfully slower chart however. also, stochastics preferences now instead of value 1 value 2 value 3 of which i set 5, 3, 3 respectively, now has the options..well actually it has 2 indicators of which i am not sure which one to use. one is stochastic momentum index and the other is stochastic oscillator. stochastic momentum index has four boxes where you can input values, and are %k periods, %k smooth, %k double smooth, %d periods in that order, then two boxes MA type and %D MA type both with drop down menu's of simple, exponential, time series, trianglular, variable, VIDYA, and weighted. and the stochastic oscillator technical indicator has %k periods, %k slowing, %d periods, and MA type with the same drop down menu as above(simple, exponential, time series etc). Please help!!..as this has now become a great deal more complicated and really want to know how to set it up just as before and continue to test and trade! Any advice would be greatly apprecited! thanks in advance.
Justin.
justin23

Re: I'm having trouble setting up my chart

Postby Edward Revy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:57 am

Hi Justin,
you'll get used to it, as you said it gives you more options now.
For RSI you have to use RSI applied to Close, value 5.
For Stochastic it would be Stochastic oscillator, use MA type - Simple;
%k periods, %k slowing, %d periods accordingly 5, 3, 3.

Regards,
Edward
Edward Revy
Site Admin

Re: I'm having trouble setting up my chart

Postby justin23 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks for your timely reply Edward, thats great. This site is fantastic. Have a good day.
Justin
justin23

Return to Newbie questions & answers